My Guide Website?
Florence: Guided Cathedral Square Tour and Dome Climb2 Reviews
A guided, informative tour visiting Duomo Square including several of its significant constructions. Following this you will have the opportunity to view the entire city from a single point, by climbing to the top of the dome.
- Be rewarded for your efforts with a spectacular view of the city
- Take a guided tour of the Duomo Square of Florence including Cupola Climbing
- Walk through a building dating back to the 1400s
DescriptionYour guide will begin by talking you through the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo, which commits to he conservation of the dome and other artworks of great masterpieces of Michelangelo, Donatello, Lorenzo Ghiberti, Luca Della Robbia, Arnolfo di Cambio and many others. Afterwards, as you walk through the piazza you'll catch glimpses of the red dome that was completed in 1436 by Filippo Brunelleschi and known as the largest building in medieval Europe. After an interesting explanation of this showstopper, your next stop will be the showpieces of Florentine Gothic architecture, Giotto's Bell Tower, standing adjacent to the Basilica of Santa Maria del Fiore Your guide will also walk you around the exterior of the Loggia del Bigallo, a late Gothic building in Florence with an interesting historical fact. Finally, you’ll enter through the “Gates of Paradise” to the Baptistery of St. John which stands across from the Duomo Cathedral. You will be also be guided on the technical and artistic points of view of architecture. Your guide will talk you through all about how the Cupola was designed and built by Filippo Brunelleschi, who won the competition for its commission in 1418. The way up (and down) are basically tight corridors for the workmen who built the cathedral for maintenance, they were never thought of as being open to the public On the interior of the dome, you can admire the Giorgio Vasari's frescoes of the Last Judgment (1572-9) up close with an interesting explanation of the frescoes from your guide on your way up to the top. Look down and on the base, just above the drum, you'll see that Baccio d'Agnolo began adding a balcony in 1507 and how one of the eight sides was unfinished. There's a story behind this balcony, your guide will reveal it to you on your way as to why the work was immediately halted, and as to why to this day the other seven sides remain rough brick. Once you climb to the top of the Cupola, you will be enchanted from the panoramic view of Florence City in front of your eyes. Your guide will talk about the history and art of this Duomo Square and answer to any of your remaining questions regarding Duomo.
IncludesEntrance fees including the ticket to visit the sites listed (The Dome, the Bell-tower, the crypt inside the Cathedral and the baptistery, Museo dell' Opera del Duomo) and the reservation to climb the Dome 1-hour guided tour climbing the Dome and in the rest of the time guided tour inside the Museo dell' Opera del Duomo and Baptistery of St. John and walking tour around the Duomo Square Official certified guide Radio system to hear your guide Free gelato (Italian ice-cream) or water bottle Hotel pick-up and drop off Entrance to the Cathedral (free entrance)
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- Minimum numbers apply
- Minimum numbers apply, there is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements (in the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Not recommended for participants with back problems, pregnant women and suffering from vertigo, claustrophobia or heart problems
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Pets are not allowed
- You do not need a ticket to visit the Cathedral; you can enter it at any time before or after this tour
- After the first validation, the ticket is valid for 72 hours (you can use it to visit locations listed on your own time)
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Reserve Your Experience
Instant Booking ConfirmationBook Now