My Guide Website?
Santa Croce Church Guided Tour in Florence1 Reviews
Explore the burial place of most illustrious Italians, such as Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli, the poet Foscolo and the composer Rossini, with a guided tour to Basilica di Santa Croce Florence.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Florence:If youʻre booking your trip to Florence last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Visit the temple of the Italian Glories
- Burial place of several Florentine and Italian masters such as Michelangelo
- Admire the works by Donatello
- Admire the monument dedicated to Dante Alighieri, author of the Divine Comedy
DescriptionThe tour begins in the main square, the location of the annual Calcio Storico Florentino, a well-known soccer match played in medieval garb. You will learn a lot about history and Michelangelo's life during this tour. The magnificent frescoes by Giotto in the Bardi and Peruzzi Chapels depict scenes from the lives of St. Francis and St. John the Evangelist, while Gaddi's frescoes (1380) in the Cappella Maggiore depict the legend of 'Santa Croce.' Your guide will go into great detail about the immense artistic wealth in Santa Croce. The statue of the 19th-century playwright Giovanni Battista Niccolini, which served as an inspiration for the Statue of Liberty, can be found on your way to the left of the entrance. Learn about the artwork of Brunelleschi and the flawless architectural harmony of his Chapel of Fools as you walk through the revered walls, as well as the artwork of Donatello and his crucifix, one of the crown jewels of the Renaissance. The Church also bears the scars of history, including those caused by the tragic flood of 1966, which destroyed the monumental cemetery and damaged several paintings. The cemetery was later restored and is included in this tour. After touring the interior, the guide will explain the exterior, which is clad in a polychrome marble façade. The guide will then take you on a tour of the Bell Tower, Crypt, and 16 Chapels. After the tour, which lasts about an hour, you can go back and see anything you might want to see again.
IncludesOfficial certified guide Radio system to hear the guide Entrance tickets and Reservations
- The tour is wheelchair and stroller accessible.
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders must be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements.
- The tour will not be rescheduled or refunded if refused entry due to inappropriate dress code.
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately.
- Please note that the tour requires a minimum number of guests to run.
- Please note that if you arrive after the tour start time you will not be able to join and will not be refunded or have your tour rescheduled.
- There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.